Saturday, March 7, 2009

2009 Oblate Trail Ride

I completed another 25 mile bike ride today in the Rio Grande Valley. The 2009 Oblate Trail Ride was a success. Even with winds gusting up to 36 mph, we had a great time!!


The route followed the famous Oblate Trail along Military Highway, an area the Oblates of Mary Immaculate traveled by horse more than 100 years ago to celebrate Mass in the remote communities along the Rio Grande River. The ride is to help break the cycle of poverty in the Valley.




Cynthia, a fellow cyclist, that I met last weekend at another cycling event, and I set out to complete this mission we'd signed up for. What int he world were we thinking!!! The winds were awful and I was beginning to worry that I wouldn't finish this ride.

So eventually we got things ready and met another cyclist, Dali, a brave and very motivating girl. Cynthia and Dali were absolute motivators for me today and I KNOW that I wouldn't have completed this race without this amazing encouragement.


Cynthia, Dali, Mimi (someone else we met) and I are already getting signed up for about 4 or 5 more events. We are so excited! If I could do this in these winds, I can do anything!


OH!! And the fact that my hubby was supposed to do this ride with me and didn't... well, tonight he is treating me to a wonderfully romantic evening; dinner, drinks, etc.....

No comments: