Monday, March 23, 2009

Crash Test Dummy- Always wear your riding helmet

Yep, that is me! Or so I felt like it :)
Friday afternoon was supposed to have been a nice afternoon taking a leisurely ride through a trail in Mission, Texas on my "Awesome" Specialized bike. Last week I had Bicycle World install my new road pedals and I got my new riding shoes to go with it.
Somewhere between La Feria and Mission, I drank a Monster Energy lo-Carb drink (light dinner, no breakfast and no lunch). Not long after riding and taking pictures like I usually do, I crashed my bike and myself into the pavement.
8 hours later, I began to realize that
1) I'd been in a bad accident
2) I didn't even remember crashing
3) I somehow was taken in an ambulance to the hospital
3) I'd lost some memory since I thought I'd been in a car accident with my brother
4) and yes, at some point I did think Oh My Holy God!!!! How much is this going to COST!!!

After several hours of being in a hospital, 2 CT Scans, blood work, urine analysis and some reaaaaaly good morphine, I was released to the arms of my loving and obviously concerned hubby.

Since the accident I've wondered what really happened. My hubby says I hit his back tires with my bike but never said anything, the best guess so far has been that I passed out. (Is this related to my Monster Drink...Not sure)Hmmm.
My NEW shoes were still locked and clipped into my pedals (hence the pain and soreness of my ankles). I went straight into the ground like a sack of potatoes. Thank God I was wearing a helmet (reminder to buy a new one-this one cracked) because this could have been sooo much worse.

My hubby hugged me the rest of the night as I dosed off in his arms. Since then, I have come to terms with the fact that I fell !! it's just unbelievable that I actually had a "biking accident."
Well, if i had to do it again, this would be the outcome--- of course, if i wasn't passed out in an ambulance.

What I would do if I had to do all over again!!!

-Stay down. Make it look as though, while you certainly didn't mean to wind up on the pavement, you're kind of happy you did. Go into your bag, make a few phone calls, maybe eat something. Or else just fold your hands behind your head, relax, and gaze wistfully at the sky. People respect people who take life as it comes.
--Make it count. Once you realize you're going down, maximize the shock value. Send the bike sliding for a few yards. If you can, take a few other riders with you. Then get up and finish your bike off like Pete Townshend laying waste to his guitar at the end of a concert. Maybe even take out a car windshield too. Clumsiness is embarrassing--total wipe out is awesome.
--Jump right up and shout incredulously. "Holy crap! Did you see that?!?"
--Breakdance!
Last but not least::: CRY :)

1 comment:

Judy said...

Seriously LOL.. What an adventure!!!