Thursday, February 5, 2009

Are you Superstitious?? Hawaiian Black Sand

Mr. Lo & I had the wonderful pleasure of honeymooning in Hawaii (Kauai and the Big Island). We had a wonderful time and got to do lots of exciting things.

We got dirty in Kauai (heheh), we saw gorgeous rainbows, we took a flight over the islands, saw the humpback whales, visited some beautiful old lighthouses. I spared the later of the photos for space sake.




Anyways, to get the story started, The REEL HAPPY NEWLYWED's decided to take something that we shouldn't have. The Infamous Black Sand......




Mr & I both wanted to bring back a momento of this beautiful beach and island. The sand was majestic and amazing. The sea turtles that played loving in the ocean came up onto the sand and basked on the black sand. It was amazing. We met some wonderful guys visiting from Japan, others from London and some from Greece. We had a wonderful playing around on the beach.




We left Punalu'u Black Sand Beach with a Ziploc full of this fascinating sand, along with some lava rocks and coral. This beach is a gem of a find on the Big Island of Hawaii. Located half-way between Volcano and Na'alehu on the southern portion of the Big Island of Hawaii.
The rest of the trip we often thought to ourselves what we were going to do with the sand. We wanted to put it in a vase we got for our wedding and showcase in our entertainment center (when we got one). We had some friends come over for food and drinks and showed them how beautiful it was. My brother right away told me. "Are you kidding me? I'm not touching that!" "Sonia, don't you know it's bad luck to bring back anything from the islands?"
Of course I didn't Do-Do head. If I'd known I wouldn't have brought it!
Uggghhh, the pit of my stomach felt like waves of guilt running wildly in my body. I couldn't sleep. And Mr. Lo kept telling me we have to send it back. Oh yeah, now you want too. You went and bought the Ziploc bags! I refused stating we weren't really "SUPERSTITIOUS" and I was going to prove this so called curse wrong.
I researched this so-called bad luck mystery and this is what I found:
We at first did not believe in this nonsense. But little by little we caught ourselves laughing OH, it's the Black Sand Ooooooohhhh LOLOL.
This week, we'd had enough and so had my family.
Some things have happened to us lately. Coincidental, I think NOT! Here's a small rundown:
-We actually began to argue a little about some things that had never bothered us before.
-I forgot about a 5k I was supposed to participate in, that I'd recruited others for.
-My husbands 2 pregnant sisters and 2 brother in laws were in a serious roll over car accident (all were well)
-I sprained my ankle right before a 10K (after a doctors visit all is well)
-I missed 2 days of working out when I'd vowed to be loyal 5 days straight (my own personal goal)
-When I fell and sprained my ankle- that evening I had severe chest pains that I seriously thought I was having a heart attack (doctors visit showed no broken ribs)
-The doctor visit did however show that I had abnormal heart Rhythm and put me on a 24 hour heart monitor. One week to get results.
-4 co-workers were laid off
My mother literally came over this morning (with orders from my Daddy) to go and return the "stuff" immediately! Overnight!!!
The Mr & I are happy to get if out of our hands and back to Hawaii where it rightfully belongs.
Goddess Pele, we are truly sorry for disturbing your land. We would've never had done this if we'd only known. Please forgive us.

Wheeeew!! I can't wait for the Fex-Ex confirmation.

(Hence, we have beautiful photos to remember our fantabulous honeymoon) We'll treasure ours forever!
IF you have "stuff" send it back IMMEDIATELY!

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Wow! I'd never heard of that superstition, but I will have to file that in my mind so that I never try to bring home black sand from Hawaii!! It did look beautiful though. I hope that you get your Fed-Ex confirmation soon :)

Also, I love the reason for your blog name-- so cute and sweet. My husband is a fly-fisherman, and I enjoy joining him from time to time. Finally, I wanted to say thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog.

Reel Happy Newlyweds said...

Thank you! Where is Harker Heights? We live in Deep South Texas but I lived in Las Colinas near Dallas for several years; i'm pretty familiar with San Antonio also.
Yes, always remember, don't bring back ANYTHING from the islands!
I was so glas to come across your blog!

Confessions of a Northern Belle said...

Talk about bad luck! I am going to HI on my honeymoon and definitely staying away from the black sand!

A Wedding Story said...

OOOhhh fun. We are planning our honeymoon to Hawaii too!